Word Artists' Workshop at Hawkes Library
Hawkes welcomes a new Artistic Moments' educational workshop, designed to enhance students’ writing skills and offer them all of the resources necessary to write and self-publish a book.
The workshop will be held on the 2nd & 4th Sundays of each month, at Historic Hawkes Library in West Point, GA. A workshop for younger participants, starting at age 7, will last from 1:30 to 2:30pm ET. A second workshop for advanced writers will last from 2:30 to 4:00pm ET. Word Artists may attend both sessions, if desired. Additional workshops will be added as needed.
The workshops consist of:
- - games to illustrated the creative writing process
- - activities to strengthen vocabulary and grammar skills
- - instructional lessons and tips to enhance writing skills
- - ideas for creative journal writing
- - a forum for peer reviews, critiques, and constructive criticism
- - access to a secure website for members of the workshop that will allow continued discussion, easy access to resources, and additional motivation between workshops
- - guest authors to provide different perspectives on writing and the publication process
- - introduction to different writing styles and genres
- - individual assistance with writing projects
Currently, our Word Artists are working on a collaborative project to be published this Spring. Although it is not required, members of the workshop are encouraged to complete a work and submit it for publication. Due to the additional expense of the publication process, local sponsors or fundraisers may be available for financial assistance.
Publication Resources include:
- - proofreading
- constructive criticism and peer reviews
- cover design services
- assistance with illustrations, if needed
- assistance with formatting the student’s work for submission
- guidance through all of the steps necessary to submit a book for self-publication
If published, the participant will have their work printed in paperback form, including a unique ISBN for their publication. There will also be an option to distribute the book to national bookstores, both brick & mortar and online. Digital editions may also be developed. In addition, Hawkes will offer new authors a wonderful place to hold their first book signing.
All workshops will be held at the historic Hawkes Library in West Point, GA. The literature and resource materials available are complimented by computers for student use and Wi-Fi access. A variety of work and seating options, throughout the building and around its exterior, make this the perfect location to encourage our Word Artists' creativity.
Book Break! is planned for the 2015-2016 School Year. As our young authors complete the publication process, they will have the opportunity to join the Book Break! program. This will involve travel to local schools where the authors will read their book (or excepts from their book) to students. They will then talk about their experiences with writing and encourage students to continue reading and writing. Book signings can also be held at the schools when visited.
For more information or to register for the program, please contact Amy McDow (email@example.com or 706-407-1210).
Join us for StoryHour!!!!
Storytime at Hawkes Library is held each Thursday morning from 10:30 to 11:30 am. We will have a different theme each week. Bring your children aged 3 to 6 years old for a fun time with Mrs. Lacey.
Junior Friends and Junior Book Club continue throughout the Fall!
Contact Hawkes Library for schedule information!
Every membership helps sustain the programming and events at Hawkes Library and allows us to continue adding beneficial services for our community.
Friends of Hawkes Library Annual Newsletter
Friends of Hawkes Library Membership Levels: Friend- $10, Family- $25, Patron- $50, Benefactor- $100, Sustainer- $500
Please mail your check to the Friends of Hawkes Library, c/o Ellen Sapp, P.O. Box 391; West Point, GA 31833.